Chandler was developed by Dr.
Alexander Chandler, the first veterinary surgeon in the Arizona
territory, who originally bought 80 acres from the U.S. Government in the Salt RiverValley. By the year 1900, he had amassed
an 18,000 acre ranch, which was then subdivided into a town and its
surroundings. Agriculture, especially cotton, grains and alfalfa, as well as
cattle, sheep and ostriches surrounded the new town. By 1920 Chandler’s population was over 1,000.
More recently, Chandler
has enlarged geographically and demographically, with an area of 64.9 square
miles and a population of more than 255,000. Housing units are almost 105,000,
and the average household income as of 2012 was over $81,000. The median home
value is now $291,000.Located southeast
of Phoenix, Chandler offers proximity to a large
metropolis and a suburban lifestyle.